Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Finding/Making Time to Write

It is my understanding that finding time to write is not the right approach. We have to make time to write. At the Storymakers Conference, Dave Wolverton suggested writers get up early to write. He sited evidence that the creative side of one's brain is most active during the early morning hours. I decided I would give it a try.

Mind you, I don't get up that early, but I have been getting up about half an hour earlier than I customarily do. This is my writing time. It seems to be working, though I might have to get up even earlier so I have more than just 1/2 hour. My writing is going very slowly, and it seems I'm just starting to get into the flow of things when I have to stop and get my kids off to school.

All of my children are now in school, which means I have the house to myself for several hours most days, and I should have all the time I want to write, right? It never seems to work out that way. Something else always seems to demand my attention. Perhaps I need to simplify my life a little, or maybe I should do as I suggested in the paragraph above, and get up earlier.

I admire all the young moms I see who write. I have no idea how they find time. Having seven children myself, I don't think I could have done it when my kids were young. Perhaps, though, it is for them the way knitting, gardening or reading has been for me; it's an escape and a break from the stress of being Mommy.

So, here's to all you busy mommies out there who write against all odds and are successful at it. My hat is off to you and I hope I can find what works well for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment