Thursday, July 8, 2010

Crickets and Bees and a Short Story

Wow, who knew you could hear crickets by writing about bees? Not one response to my last post. I wonder if anyone read it. Maybe it's one of those things that is only exciting if you're the one surrounded by angry bees. Oh, well. Time to move on.

I have been writing every day lately, which is my goal. I am 18,435 words into my YA novel now. It isn't always easy and I don't always get a lot written, but I think overall it is getting a little easier, and hopefully better.

Christine Bryant is hosting an exclusive writing contest for AI members. She listed several items she's gotten for birthday presents in the past and challenged us to write a short story, 1,000 words or less, using as many of the items as possible.

I wrote my story yesterday. I can't reveal it until the contest is over, July 14, but I will post it here after that. In the meantime, here is the list of items she gave us to work with. And, I am proud to report, I used them all in my little story.

pink fuzzy bath slippers
.22 rifle
glass horse
sleeping bag
a journal
white bean bag chair
a kitten (Sheba)
a bouquet of flowers
a Barbie doll
Roller skates
a book (How to Draw Animals)
a 10-speed bike (white)
A stuffed alligator
A Donny Osmond poster (stop laughing)
a lamp for my desk
flip flops
a jewelry box
a cedar chest
a heart locket
a used stereo (with record turn table)

3 comments:

  1. Good progress on your novel! Keep it up. You're story turned out wonderful. Well deserving of it's prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your story over on Christine's blog and loved it (and left a comment about it, too). That Barbie--you just gotta love her and her perkiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!

    When I wrote Barbie's dialog, I had in mind a cross between the Barbie doll on Toy Story II and Giselle in my favorite movie, Enchanted.

    ReplyDelete